Transforming Everyday Public Spaces into Thriving Third Places
Tomorrow will see NGV Melbourne Design Week 2021 stage a panel discussion that will explore the impact ‘Third Place’ design thinking has on the future of the built environment, including community sports infrastructure.
To be hosted by 106 Architects, the panel will consider how design will transform and shape life in the future development of sport and community facilities?
Featuring industry experts in urban planning, sport architecture as well as a globally recognised strategic leaders and influencers, Transforming Everyday Public Spaces into Thriving Third Places – third places being the social surroundings separate from the two usual social environments of home (‘first place’) and the workplace (‘second place’).
Being held at Moonee Valley Racecourse, on Wednesday 31st March from 11am to 1.30pm, panellists will present from both personal and professional perspectives on the design and development of urban spaces and how the use of emerging technologies can create thriving Third Places.
Dion Gosling, Principal/Sports Architect and a Director at 106 Architects, explains “the concept of Third Place, a safe and accessible social surrounding for local communities, is a mid- 20th century concept that is still valid today.
“But what does it really mean and look like for our communities of today, and more specifically, how will it be interpreted in the future? The development of Third Place thinking into our sports and community project work, is continuously transforming under the influence of new technologies, deeper cultural understanding, and wider collaboration.”
- Simon Madden, Consultant and former AFL star
- Tiffany Cherry, Sports Media Commentator and Board Member of the Sports Environment Alliance
- James Mant, Manager, Planning Projects, Victorian Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
- Dion Gosling, Principal/Sports Architect, Director – 106 Architects
- Nikki Langman, Author, International Speaker and Ultra-marathon runner
- Martin Sheppard, National Sports Convention founder and Managing Director of the Smart Connection Consultancy
Transforming Everyday Public Spaces Into Thriving Third Places is part of the NGV Melbourne Design Week 2021, an initiative of the Victorian Government in collaboration with the NGV.
Admission is free but space is limited.